Monday, March 31, 2008

First Destination >>>



Hi everyone, it's been a while, hasn't it! I've been in hibernation due to a) a labour intensive immunisation course (which I'm only half way through, but in denial about at the moment :o) ), and b) I discovered Facebook, and have been having a bit too much fun on there when I could have been studying, or writing another post!

I've had many thoughts over the past weeks which I could have written about- thoughts about Joseph (i.e. king of dreams)... (I love Joseph; one of my favourite Bible characters), and also thoughts about posting some of my favourite recipes & crowd pleasers, but since I tend to cook the yummiest things without regard for fat & sugar content when I am entertaining, I thought that might be a bit counter productive considering my main blog theme is weight loss & living a healthy lifestyle!

But today I was reading a small portion of Karen Scalf Linamen's book "Just hand over the chocolate, and no-one will get hurt!" In it, she suggested a bit of armchair travelling for those of us who are tired, run down, or just needing a bit of a break, without wanting to break the bank! From her suggestions I came up with a fun idea to do with the whole family- a family holiday night. Essentially, one person decides where we are going, and transports us there as the tour guide, via powerpoint- with pictures from the internet, local music, historical facts and a whirlwind tour of the area's places of interest. With a week's notice, on request I can also whip up a dish of the local fare to top it all off! A marvellous idea- education, fun, and precious family time all rolled into one!

I mentioned my little plan to my darling hubby, who I must say, was somewhat less than enthused, but nonetheless willing to go along with it for a trial... well you do usually marry someone opposite to yourself- you'd think after almost 15 years of marriage I'd have cottoned on to the fact that he would most likely NOT respond to my wacky idea with leaps and whoops of sanguine excitement! Anyway, undeterred, I press on!



Tonight's vacation is to Bologna, Italy, owing to the fact that I had already taken mince out for the family fave- Spaghetti Bolognese! Reflecting on it for a minute, I realised I know nothing whatsoever about Bologna, so it will be a great place to start our family tour! I have yet to begin our power point, but I have just learnt my first fact- Bologna's location. Most of us have heard that Italy is the shape of a leg with a boot on, well if that's the case, Bologna is in the mid-to-upper thigh region, or in medical terms, the vastus lateralis muscle, right where our darling babies have their infant injections (don't cry, mummies, immunisations are important!)
Bologna is not far from Florence, or Firenze, as it is known there, and also from Verona, where my fair namesake died an untimely death! (Actually, no, that was fiction, wasn't it!)
I'm looking forward to this... a new place to explore!
It's time for me to get started now, but I'll make sure I let you know how it goes, and share all of my interesting facts. Hasta la vista, baby! (ooh no, not that one... hmm let me see...)
Arrivederci! (Ah, that's better!)


2 comments:

Darlene Schacht said...

That sounds fun! My husband would react the same way. Enjoy Balogna!

Lori ~ The Simple Life at Home said...

Wow, Juliet!! I'm so glad you commented on my blog so I could find you and read your great posts! You sound a lot like me, but more "together." Hopefully I can draw a lot of inspiration from you. Oh, and I can't wait to hear more of your "visits." What a great idea!